Pasta salad is a dish growing up I never would even try but now it is one of my favorite dishes. The thing I like most about pasta salads is that everybody makes there’s a little different. The pasta dressing matches different style of pasta salad which can be Greek, Italian, pizza, chicken, etc and the pasta itself can vary from bow tie or rotini.
Pasta Salad is mostly made in the summer because it the perfect picnic food. It is simple and quick to make. Pasta salad also stores well and makes for easy travel. Below is one of the recipes I found on pinterest that I like for pasta salad.
If you make this pasta salad or any other recipe for pasta salad I encourage you to make it your own and add/subtract ingredients for your own personal liking. Enjoy!
- 8 oz. rotini pasta
- 1 large tomato, peeled and chopped
- 2-3 medium pickling cucumbers
- 4-5 small sweet peppers (or 1 whole green bell pepper)
- 1 roasted red bell pepper
- 1-2 stalks celery, chopped
- 2-3 green onions, chopped
- 3-4 large basil leaves, cut in chiffonade
- 2/3 cup Italian or other Mediterranean-type dressing
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- Cook the rotini according to the package directions. Drain and rinse well under cold running water. Let the rotini drain while preparing the remaining ingredients.
- Add ingredients to a large mixing bowl as you work. Peel, chop and seed a large tomato.
- Peel the cucumbers and cut into small cubes.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the sweet peppers, chop them and add to the bowl.
- Cut the roasted red bell pepper into about ½” pieces and add it, too.
- Finely chop the celery and green onions adding them to the bowl with the other vegetables.
- Stack the basil leaves, roll up and cut crosswise into ribbon-like shreds. Add to the bowl.
- Add the cool, drained pasta to the bowl.
- Pour over the dressing.
- Add the salt and pepper.
- Toss everything together until well mixed.