Over Baked Chicken Fajitas
Chicken Fajitas are one of my favorite meals to order at a restaurant. I think it’s because of the sizzling they make on the plate when they come out to the table and everyone in the restaurant stares at you. I found this recipe on pinterest and it seemed like a winner to me. This was my first attempt making fajitas on my own at home.
I loved the idea that they were oven baked because anything I can put in the oven and walk away from is my kind of cooking. Preparation for this meal was pretty simple, another plus. The smell was amazing when I pulled the fajitas out of the oven, that alone was reason enough to make them again. They also made the sizzling sound, bonus! They had great flavor to them, not too spicy and the chicken was cooked perfectly. I highly recommend this dish to anyone who enjoys restaurant fajitas but wants to stay at home to enjoy them!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and sliced (I use half a green and half a red)
- 12 flour tortillas
- Toppings such as cheese, sour cream, and guacamole – if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Place chicken strips in a greased 13×9 baking dish.
- In a small bowl combine the oil, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, dried oregano, and salt
- Drizzle the spice mixture over the chicken and stir to coat.
- Next add the tomatoes, peppers, and onions to the dish and stir to combine.
- Bake uncovered for 20-25 minutes or until chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender. Serve on tortillas with desired toppings